We perform mechanical testing on cast, wrought and forged samples, including weld procedure qualification / welder qualification test plates. Our Metallurgists, Mechanical Testing Management and Technicians are highly experienced and work efficiently to give accurate and prompt results.
All our equipment is expertly maintained, calibrated and certified by ISO17025 Accredited Calibration Laboratories.
The mechanical tests provided include:
- Tensile Testing – Ultimate, Yield, Elongation, Reduction of Area, Fracture Analysis and more
- Hardness testing – Vickers, Rockwell & Brinell
- Portable Hardness – Leeb (rebound) & Ultrasonic
- Micro Hardness Testing – Micro Vickers
- Charpy impact testing – Up to 300 joules at ambient and down to – 80°C & -196°C
- Charpy Lateral expansion – Sample fracture measurements after impact
- Charpy Fracture Appearance – Sample fracture ductile / brittle appearance and transition.
- Macro & Micro Examination – Macro & Micro Examination of welds, metals and heart-affected zones.
- Bend tests – Metal and weld in longitudinal or transverse direction.
- Break Tests – Fillet weld break and nick butt weld break
- Stud Tests – Adherence and bend / break tests.
- Bolt & Wedge Tests – Bolt & Fasteners.
- Solidity Testing – Casting Cleanliness.
- Flattening Test – Circular hollow sections (CHS) structural steel
- Abrasion Test – Visual End Point, Weight Loss and Volume Loss Methods
Aben Technical Services has one of the most advanced and precise tensile testers available with full automation and electronic format recording and reporting.
The testing of coatings is also performed within our Mechanical Testing Laboratory or on-site and further details can be found on the Coating & Surface Inspection page.
Refer to our Metallurgy and Metals Analysis Section for further materials analysis available.
We perform corrosion testing on metals to determine its susceptibility to corrosion when exposed in particular environments. Current tests performed include:
- Intergranular Corrosion Testing to ASTM G28, ASTM A262 Practice E and ASTM A763 Practice
- Pitting & Crevice Corrosion Resistance Testing to ASTM G48
- Ferroxyl and Copper Sulphate Testing to ASTM A380
- Passivation Screen for Stainless Steel to ASTM-A-967
Refer to Metallurgy and Metal Analysis Section for microscopic evaluation and metallography to determine grain size, ferrite count, graphite, cleanliness and other metal structural properties which can be performed.